Re: Drift requirements for industrial buildings

What type of industrial building is 280 ft. high?

The drift requirements in the UBC are intended to limit the demand and
destruction of the non-lfrs elements.  P-delta effects on basic gravity
systems as well as non-structural damage to cladding, partitions, piping,
and mechanical.  There are exceptions to the drift requirements for
structures where it can be shown that the effects of excessive drift are
within the capacity and tolerance of the various elements.

For a 280 ft. industrial facility, what type of piping systems do you expect
carrying what type of substances?  I would not take the drift requirements
and compatibility of various industrial elements too lightly.

If this is an industrial facility how critical is the performance of the
facility to the owners? the environment?  We have had some wafer chip
manufacturers where the buildings have been base isolated due to the
associated cost of loss of production.

I honestly believe that industrial facilities are outside of the basic scope
of the building codes, typical life safety considerations fall below the
standard required for manufacturing or process program requirements.

Paul Feather