Fw: Shear Plates and Split Ring Connectors

To Jim Fulton

Questions on the steel shear pucks  (do not call these pucks, they are shear
plates!!)   please. Are there some manufacturers
catalogs available that give allowable loads for different size pucks ?

 [ans] Allowable loads for shear plates and split ring connectors can be
found in the AITC Timber Construction Manual 4th Edition.

 Do these type connectors have a torsional moment capacity (I'm picturing
teeth located at the outer diameter of the puck) or are they usually just
credited for shear ?

[ans] Just shear.Spike Grid timber connectors with "teeth" are available
from Cleveland Steel Speciality Company. 800-251-8351
www.clevelandsteel.com

Finally, are these the same as "split-ring connectors" ?

[ans] No

Bruce Pooley, Colorado P.E.
Timber Design
3448 South Newland Court