Re: UCBC97

Yi,

I expect that most of the strengthening project will be done with custom
hardware.  But I wouldn't even start to think of hardware and solutions to
problems until the analysis is completed.

I would approach this building by doing and analysis using the UCBC and
listing all of the complying and non-complying conditions using Table A-1-A
as an outline format.

Some problems will find their solution in structural assemblies that perform
multiple functions, as for diaphragm edge shear bolting, and wall anchor
connections.  Expect all structural assemblies to be custom [except for
bolts, BP plates, and the like] -- Simpson and other hardware manufacturers
have concentrated on light wood-frame construction.  To my knowledge, no one
has developed hardware to solve the problems related to stone building
retrofit.  Even adhesive anchors [as made by Covert Operations or Simpson]
used for developing shear and tension loads into the masonry will need to be
tested in the stone material.

Nels

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer