From: "John Holliday" <john.holliday(--nospam--at)chemtex.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Short and long term settlement
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 02:42:28 -0400

I am designing a large concrete industrial structure. The soils report
states that settlement during the construction phase will be 2 to 2 1/4" and
an additional 1" long term. I am considering using a combination mat and
strip footings. I am a little worried about differential settlement. For the
long term it is acceptable (assuming 75% of 1") but how much do I have to
worry about the differential settlement during the construction phase?
Thanks in advance for all answers.

John Holliday P.E.