RE: IBC seismic special inspection of wood lateral force resistin g systems

Ben:

Yes there is no ICBO certification for structural wood that I know about.
The inspectors have to prove their qualifications to the building official.
The senior engineer at the local company that does a lion's share of the
local special inspection asked me to put together a class to train his
inspectors because they are unfamiliar with wood framed construction.

I do not see the usefulness of structural wood seismic special inspection
locally because the local building department inspectors are pretty savvy
about wood lateral systems and understand most of what they are looking at
on the plans.

I think the best special inspector for wood framed construction is the
design engineer because she knows her intent better than anyone else.  A lot
of engineers trust their notes to cover boundary nailing, 3x framing,
blocking [sometimes hold-down locations] ect... but the problem with wood
frame construction is that normally there are not shop drawings made showing
where the nails and other connections go.  Most of the people constructing
and inspecting wood frame lateral force systems do not understand the
concept behind them and miss things covered in notes and schedules if there
aren't accompanying details showing where each connection is supposed to go.

Thanks for your opinion.

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division