Re: Destruction of Kurram Village, Afghanistan

I second that emotion!

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

In a message dated 10/24/01 2:39:11 PM, Ben.Yousefi(--nospam--at)ci.sj.ca.us writes:

<< Spoken like a man of true wisdom and honor, as I always knew Nels to be. My
hats off to you. I wish this world had more people like you, rather than a
lot of people we have heard from on this subject.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA

    -----Original Message-----
    From:   Nels Roselund, SE [SMTP:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
    Sent:   Tuesday, October 23, 2001 5:37 PM
    To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
    Subject:    Re: Destruction of Kurram Village, Afghanistan

    Bill,

    I was going to stay out of this, but my cage has finally been
rattled.

    Asking the amount of money it will take is not asking the right
question.
    However, we do need to figure out the answer to some important
questions,
    and then figure out what to do about the answers.

    Here are some questions that I think need to be on the table in an
open
    national dialogue.  I don't know the right answers but without the
right
    answers we're certain to do the wrong things.

    Why does ObL and Al Queda have the ability to recruit, not only the
hopeless
    destitute poor, but talented, well trained people to willingly kill
    themselves while they kill civilians in a foreign land?  It is
certainly not
    because they begrudge us our freedoms, as our President implied in
his
    speech -- could it be because they are seeking freedom, opportunity
and self
    determination for themselves, their nations and their families?
That sounds
    like an American idea to me -- but could it be?

    Why does the American money that goes to the Arabian peninsula and
other
    Arab countries not get past the wealthy to reach the destitute poor?
Why do
    we keep sending it there anyway?

    Why are American troops needed in the Country in which millions of
Muslim
    pilgrims visit the holiest sites of Islam?  Is it to protect access
    inexpensive fuel?  Is the cost turning out to be higher than we
thought?

    Why does McWorld need to force itself past national boundaries to
undermine
    and erode age-old cultural values?  Is it so  that big business can
make big
    bucks?  Is that really in our best interest?

    Why don't our leaders tell us that these are important questions
that we as
    a nation should be talking about until we get good answers?

    Why don't our leaders tell us that these are important questions
that we as
    a nation should be talking about until we get good answers?  That is
    purposely repeated question, and I'll say it again

    Why don't our leaders tell us that these are important questions
that we as
    a nation should be talking about until we get good answers?.

    Justice has two sides right now.  We need to get ObL and dismantle
Al Queda,
    but that is only one side of Justice.

    Nels Roselund
    Structural Engineer