From: Effland, Greg [mailto:geeffland(--nospam--at)butlermfg.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 10:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Terrorism

I couldn't disagree more...  When was the last time someone who had a poor
(assumedly) education killed 6000 people within an hour?

As a product of public education, I think the whole "public education sucks"
attitude is a mere finger pointing incident.  May I ask what you have done
to help your public education system or have you just decided that bad
mouthing it was the best fix?

I think most of the blame should be pointed at the parents of the
children... We have a tendency to think that the school teachers, which are
severely underpaid for their importance, are responsible for raising our
children.  If my child can't read when she should be or be good at math or
science or social studies (whatever the subject is) then it is my
responsibility to help get/keep her on track (not some teacher that we might
be paying $15/hour at best...).  Yes the teachers have some responsibility,
along with the school administrators, board members, etc... But if the child
does not succeed then some (or most) of the blame belongs with the parents.
My children will attend public school.  If there are problems then I guess I
will just have to camp out in the principals office until the problems get
noticed and/or fixed.

My $0.02 worth,
Greg Effland, P.E.
KC, MO USA