S.C.B.F.

The 1997 UBC does not seem to address block shear
when using the A.S.D. strength provisions for special concentrically
braced frames.  The three possible methods I can think of
yield very different results: (strength at omega load comb.)

1) 0.55FyAv + FyAt (From 2213.4.2)
2) 1.7(0.3FuAv+0.5FuAt) (From ASD manual and then increased by 1.7)
3) 0.6FuAv+FyAt (From LRFD manual without the phi factor)

This is for block shear strength check @ brace/gusset connection.

Mark Pemberton, P.E.
Project Engineer
Lionakis Beaumont Design Group