RE: Non-email based forum

From: J. K. [mailto:structure_r_us(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 1:55 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Non-email based forum

--- Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc> wrote:
> I despise web-based forums for ventures such as
> this. Email is still far and
> away the most popular way to communicate.

>> ***Not true.

Based on what? Personal preference? The FACT is--and check this out for
yourself--that despite the Web's popularity email continues to be far and
away the most-used feature of the Internet.

> The "60-80" emails a day--I continue to wonder why
> this is a problem. Set up
> a filter to put all SEAINT stuff in a separate
> folder (every email client
> has this feature). Don't read the ones you don't
> find interesting. Delete
> the lot when you're done. Easy.
>

>> *** Not true. When you are away, it eats up all of the
>> allocated disk quota. Advantage of email based system
>> is that server does not have to store postings.

Look, I have run FIVE email discussion lists on one single Linux server,
INCLUDING storing about four years' of archives. I've done this on a single
10 GB disk that you can now buy (if you can find them) for about $50. So
this is a pale excuse.

If your employer is so chincy with your "allocated disk quota" maybe you'd
better tell them that the 386 they are using for an email server needs
upgrading.