RE: Terrorism - Patton versus Montgomery

Both Patton and Montgomery had gigantic egos and both had fantastic
leadership ability.  Montgomery's skills were demonstrated when he took over
command of the British forces in North Africa and defeated Rommel's forces at
El Alemain.

As two people with gigantic egos, both craved public recognition, possibly
even adulation, and competed for it.

Both were great leaders in a time when we needed great leaders for our
troops.  Patton was probably the most flamboyant wearing a brace of pearl
handled revolvers, real revolvers (six-shooters), not the army issue .45 cal.
automatic pistol.

The competition between the two was great, as it usually is between people
with large egos.  The two challenged the diplomatic skills of the Supreme
Allied Commander, General Dwight D. Eisenhower in keeping both placated, and
frustrated General George Marshall, Patton's superior in trying to keep
Patton's flamboyant behavior in check.  A point of interest:  peacetime
military leaders seldom make good wartime leaders.  In peacetime, Eisenhower
held the rank of Major for 14 years, while colleagues made Colonels and
Generals.

As was pointed out, allied forces landed at different beaches on the Normandy
peninsula and were usually assigned different areas of the front.  However,
actions of each country's forces was coordinated, or should have been.
Sometimes, a country's forces was used politically, such as General Charles
DeGaulle's Free French forces being the first allied troops to enter
(liberate) Paris.

A. Roger Turk
Tucson, Arizona