From: Yousefi, Ben [mailto:Ben.Yousefi(--nospam--at)ci.sj.ca.us]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 8:19 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: S.C.B.F.

In regard to the 1st equation you indicate; I would say that it's not
applicable to block shear. The values given in section 2213.4.2 are for
general member and connection design. However, wherever there is a specific
provision for an item in the code, it automatically supercedes the general
provision. Therefore, for block shear only the block shear provisions in ASD
or LRFD should be checked. As to the different results between the two
methods, it is mainly due to the methodology the two codes use for block
shear capacity, that often yields different results. For a brief discussion
of the rationale for each, see page 1-15 of the AISC Volume II/Connections
(ASD/LRFD)

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA