Need suggestions on how to make fellow professionals design sensibly

Dear friends,

After recent earthquake in Gujarat, India, a new building regulations act has been imposed by government of Gujarat making it obligatory on part of a structural engineer to design all the structures taking in to consideration effects of earthquake and wind.

There are practicing structural engineers who are either not competent enough or do not want to carry out involved analysis required for lateral loads. These engineers have continued their practice on designing buildings just for gravity loadings.

Local authority approving building plans has no infrastructure to put a check on such engineers. We are a group of structural engineers who want to suggest a system to local authority to have some check on work being done by such engineers.

Any of you can kindly suggest the system which if adopted can make these structural engineers to design buildings considering all the loads coming on them? We wish that the suggested system should be simple enough that can be implemented easily by the local authority.

Thanks.

--JAYANT