Re: Seismic Provisions Part III & I

Joseph,
1. Section 4.3a requires converting allowable stresses
into nominal strength and then multiplying by
resistance factors. Section 4.2a provide 1.7 factor to
convert allowable to nominal strength. So:
Allowable strength=0.66Fy,
Nominal strength=1.7*0.66Fy=almost1.1,
And Design strength=0.9*1.7*0.66Fy=almost 1.0

2. System force comes from analysis. So, the
connection shall not only designed for forces and
moments resulted from analysis, but also shall not
fail before the beam.

Hope it helps,
Frank

--- Joseph Harouni <yosi_h(--nospam--at)msn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> 1. In Seismic Provisions Part III p.55 section 4.3a
> & b, do I have the wrong
> understanding in designing ASD members and
> connections that: for A36 steel,
>
> Allowable Stress : Fy=36
> Nominal Strength (for flexure) : .66 x Fy
> Design Strength : .9(resistance factor) x .66 x Fy
>
> if so, why the reduction by Resistance factor when
> we have increased the
> actual loads by so much in section 4.1?
>
> 2. Also in Part I section 11.2a.1 in the 4th line,
> what is the meaning of
> "moment that can be delivered by the system", what
> system?
> Thanks,
> Joseph Harouni

> ******* ***