Re: Need suggestions on how to make fellow professionals design sensibly

Jayant,
I've worked in similar environment and I found that
the most important problem is usually dealing with
small buildings in private sector. Casualties in
earthquake usually comes form these structures, not
from power plants and dams.

So, I got this lesson: educating ordinary people to
ask for quality design and construction is the most
effective solution which needs less resources, money
and time, than trying to push government to enforce
rules or begging non-competent (or corrupted)
engineering authorities to do what they should do.

However for authorities who are willing to cooperate,
adopting design codes is a must. (And I think that you
already have an Indian local code for lateral design.)

Providing simple checklists as mandatory documents for
construction permits could be the first step toward
educating and encouraging engineers to satisfy lateral
design. These checklists make plan checking process
easier and faster, specially when authorities
resources are short. Also checklists provide a good
base for random selection of projects to check.

Also there would be a possibility for local
authorities to work with volunteer structural
engineers as plan checkers and verify selected
projects design with no cost to the client.

Good luck,
Frank

--- JAYANT LAKHLANI <jayant_l(--nospam--at)vsnl.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> After recent earthquake in Gujarat, India, a new
> building regulations act has been imposed by
> government of Gujarat making it obligatory on part
> of a structural engineer to design all the
> structures taking in to consideration effects of
> earthquake and wind.
>
> There are practicing structural engineers who are
> either not competent enough or do not want to carry
> out involved analysis required for lateral loads.
> These engineers have continued their practice on
> designing buildings just for gravity loadings.
>
> Local authority approving building plans has no
> infrastructure to put a check on such engineers. We
> are a group of structural engineers who want to
> suggest a system to local authority to have some
> check on work being done by such engineers.
>
> Any of you can kindly suggest the system which if
> adopted can make these structural engineers to
> design buildings considering all the loads coming on
> them? We wish that the suggested system should be
> simple enough that can be implemented easily by the
> local authority.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --JAYANT

=====