From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 07:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Dimension 4 and Windows XP Home Edition (was RE: Standard Time)

For many years I have used "Dimension 4", which is a freeware program that
uses the SNTP (Simple Network Time Protocol) to synchronize your networked
PC to one of many servers available on the Internet.

I have noticed however, that when I upgraded my wife's machine to Windows XP
Home Edition last week, Dimension 4 continues to give a "Socket Address"
error and no longer functions. Not sure why this is, whether it is simply
because the "Home Edition" of XP doesn't include certain "Socket Level"
services that other NT-flavors of Windows have, or because of a fundamental
difference in architecture, I'm not sure.

My Windows 2000 system doesn't have any problem with D4.

Just a word of advice to those thinking of upgrading to the new version of
Windows, and who run this kind of software. I haven't done much testing
beyond making this passing observation. YMMV.