Re: Split Wood Columns

To engineers in Northwest Washington,

	I have recently returned from a very enjoyable bus tour in your part of
the world.  One of my stops was at Sun Mountain Lodge, near Winthrop,
Washington.

	The owners of the lodge have need of a qualified structural engineer to
inspect and oversee repairs to the structure of their facility.
Specifically, the main building features round timber columns which are
something like 14 inches in diameter.  Many of these columns are badly
split.  In some cases splits as wide as half an inch are actually
coincident with the bolts at the connections.

	I informed the acting supervisor that, as a structural engineer, I was
concerned about the structural integrity of these columns; that they
should be repaired as soon as practical; and that they should get a
structural engineer who is registered in Washington to oversee the
repairs.

	I trust that someone on the list will be able to contact the
appropriate people directly take it from here.

	Good luck.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson