From: Jim Harris [mailto:jrharris(--nospam--at)ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 7:36 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 1/3 increase

I realize that I may be denounced as insane or one of those damn code writing people (I am not, well not a code writing person anyway),  but it has always been my understanding that the 1/3 increase was to take into account that full design live loads would not be present during a design wind or seismic event.  Thus the 1/3 increase is not allowed for items that only receive these transient loads.  I realize that this is not what the code says but it is my understanding on the origination of the 1/3 increase

As for the Simpson connectors I wouldn't use a 1/3 increase in any wood connection because all Simpson hardware's rated values come from COMMON nails not the box nail used on every job site.  When was the last time anybody saw common nails being used?

Don Carroll