From: Haan, Scott M. [mailto:HaanSM(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 5:05 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: non-load bearing light gauge studwalls - deflection track

Dan:

"If the studwalls don't have a deflection
track, then they could become load bearing, depending upon
the deflection of the system that they attaching to."

This is the way I would read it, if the wall isn't isolated then it becomes
a bearing wall depending on the amount of load it picks up.

Sometimes for tenant improvements interior partitions are not detailed well.
One of my new inspectors wrote up some new partitions that did not use
deflection track.  I asked the inspector if the partitions are between
k-joists 5 feet apart or under 50 foot long joist girders, and told him to
have the architect verify the acceptability of the partitions without
deflection track.

Respectfully,

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer