Re: Split Wood Columns

Agreed, Daryl, it is a bad situation, but the bolt holes are going to provide
a surface for moisture to escape, and thus be a place where shrinkage cracks
would initiate.  What to do about it?  I dunno, except maybe band the top of
the column before shrinkage cracks develop, or let the column develop
shrinkage cracks before installing the bolts (fat chance on this one).

A concern that I am developing is the capacity of bolts in actual field
drilled holes, particularly where the member is thicker than a 4X and steel
attachments have to be made on both sides.  Workers don't have drill presses
in the field, and with hand drilling, it is difficult to have the hole
spacing the same on both sides when drilling from one side.  Workers like to
drill part-way thru on one side, and then go to the other side and drill
until they meet the first hole.  The hole is then bellied out so that a
straight bolt will go thru both attachments, or, in one case that I saw, the
worker bent the bolt so that it would fit in an angled hole.

Buddy [Showalter], is this the way bolt capacities are developed for thicker
pieces, real world style???

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Daryl Richardson wrote:

. > Roger,

. >         Yes, Roger but would you really like to have such a crack
. > coincident with ALL of the bolts at a connection? Such was the case with
. > two of the six or seven columns I looked at and I did not go "hunting".

. >                                 Best regards,

. >                                 H. Daryl Richardson