From: Yousefi, Ben [mailto:Ben.Yousefi(--nospam--at)ci.sj.ca.us]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 2:42 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: 2000 IBC v 1999 UBC code question

	Scott M Haan P.E. wrote

	AISC ASD 89 A5.2 allows a 1.33 increase.
	AISI Spec. A5.1.3 allows loads to be reduced.
	ACI 530-99 2.1.1.1.3 allows a 1.33 increase.

	Scott:

	In regard to 2000 IBC and steel design:

*	The Material section 2212.1 refers to AISC Seismic for seismic
design of building.
*	AISC Seismic Part III (ASD) section 4.2 modifies the allowable
stress increase of 1.33  in ASD A5.2, that you refer to, to 1.7. However,
section 4.1 requires a load combination very similar to the LRFD and section
4.3 requires resistance factors for member strengths similar to LRFD also.
*	So, what we end up with, as far as ASD design for seismic is
concerned, is a hodgepodge of a methodology that, in my opinion, forces the
designer to use LRFD and get it over with.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA