RE: Rebar Specs

The A616 and A617 bars are less ductile than A615.  On one project, small residence (owner contracted), A616 bars were substituted without my knowledge.  I received a call from the owner, asking why the bars kept breaking when they were trying to make their 90 degree corner bends.  After they replaced all of the rebar, I never heard another word.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.

 -----Original Message-----
From: Chris Towne [mailto:ctowne(--nospam--at)chaptech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 1:04 PM
To: SEAINT List Server
Subject: Rebar Specs

Is there any problem with allowing the contractor to use rebar that conforms to ASTM A616 or A617 instead of A615?  A616 and A617 are rail steel and axle steel.  A615 is new billet steel.  The project requires reinforcing for foundations, slab on grade and reinforcement for Concrete Masonry walls.

Any input is appreciated.

Chris Towne, P.E.
Chapman Technical Group
200 Sixth Avenue