RE: Future Structural Engineer

Phil,

I was in sort of the same boat as you when I got out of school in 1995.
There were no jobs (seemingly) in structural unless you met all of the
following criteria:

a) You had 5 years min. experience and had a California SE License
b) You had a masters degree from Cal or Stanford
c) You knew Etabs and SAP.

I had none of those and my GPA was far from stellar (mostly attributable to
beer and the OJ Trial more so than personal family issues). I did have one
advantage and that was I knew CAD very well (or so I thought). I decided to
work as a draftsman until I could prove myself competent and I also went to
graduate school at night, part time, at the local state university. About a
year later, I was doing engineering, people were hiring anybody with a
degree from any school you ever heard of, and I had honed a valuable skill
that has served me well in my career.

Therefore, my advice to you is to learn a skill that most engineers don't
have, that could be CAD Drafting (as in my case) or perhaps networking or
computer maintenance skills that allows a firm to take a risk on you and
eliminate two positions with one person. Of course, if engineering is your
career goal, stress the fact in the interview process that you expect to be
doing engineering in xyz months.

Good luck\,
-Gerard
SJ, CA

Gerard Madden, PE
Design Group Manager

Duquette Engineering
10 South Third Street
San Jose, CA 95113
T: 408.494.0944 - ext 102
F: 408.494.0940
E: gmadden(--nospam--at)duquette-eng.com
w: www.duquette-eng.com