Steel space frame structure for large column free areas...

I am responding rather late to this subject, but maybe it will still help.

The Austin Texas chapter of SEAoT had a presentation from Geometrica, Inc. about long span space-frame/dome structures that may work well for your situation. They are long span roof structures called "Freedomes"  that fit a variety of plan dimensions, can handle discontinuities, and can handle discreet loads.  Also, constructable with low-tech personnel (according to the proprietor).  Check it out at www.geometrica.com

Good luck

Patrick Bachman

Dear Friends,

I have to design a stadium structure with 60 m  x 60 m column free area. =
I have already designed a similar structure with 40 m x 40 m column free =
area. For that structure I had adopted braced barrel vault as the =
structural system. But considering a problem of local unavailability of =
good fabrication contractor, I had to conceive the vault composed as a =
series of two hinged arches connected by horizontal and diagonal =
bracings to achieve the form of the vault. This resulted in slightly =
higher material consumption.

For the proposed stadium I want to adopt a structural system, most =
preferably a space frame consisting of typical repetitive elements, =
which can be easily fabricated and erected.=20

Will  anyone from our community please guide me to solve the problem? =
Suggestions regarding any alternative or innovative structural system =
are also welcome. I also need some good references on steel space frame =
structures to cover large column free areas.

Let us make the world beautiful with our creations.

Thanks..

--JAYANT LAKHLANI
<HTML>
<HEAD>

</HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV>I am responding rather late to this subject, but maybe it will still
help.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Austin Texas chapter of SEAoT had a presentation from Geometrica, Inc.
about long span space-frame/dome structures that may work well for your
situation. They are long span roof structures called &quot;Freedomes&quot;&nbsp;
that fit a variety of plan dimensions, can handle discontinuities, and can
handle discreet loads.&nbsp; Also, constructable with low-tech personnel
(according to the proprietor).&nbsp; Check it out at <A
href="http://www.geometrica.com";>www.geometrica.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Good luck</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Patrick Bachman</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>************************************************************************************</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dear Friends,<BR><BR>I have to design a stadium structure with 60 m&nbsp; x
60 m column free area. =<BR>I have already designed a similar structure with 40
m x 40 m column free =<BR>area. For that structure I had adopted braced barrel
vault as the =<BR>structural system. But considering a problem of local
unavailability of =<BR>good fabrication contractor, I had to conceive the vault
composed as a =<BR>series of two hinged arches connected by horizontal and
diagonal =<BR>bracings to achieve the form of the vault. This resulted in
slightly =<BR>higher material consumption.<BR><BR>For the proposed stadium I
want to adopt a structural system, most =<BR>preferably a space frame consisting
of typical repetitive elements, =<BR>which can be easily fabricated and
erected.=20<BR><BR>Will&nbsp; anyone from our community please guide me to solve
the problem? =<BR>Suggestions regarding any alternative or innovative structural
system =<BR>are also welcome. I also need some good references on steel space
frame =<BR>structures to cover large column free areas.<BR><BR>Let us make the
world beautiful with our creations.<BR><BR>Thanks..<BR><BR>--JAYANT
LAKHLANI<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>