Re: Wood Fasteners [was Re: Re: 1/3 increase]

Once upon a time in another career:
   While analyzing and designing for retrofitting Div 88 URM buildings
we would place on the plans and specs sheets to scale drawings and
pictures of the "nails" and "screws" as called out on the plans. We
were supervising our own crews at the time and found that through
proper supervision, training and LA City enforcment we got the message
across.
   However, we exposed ourselves to problems on our first very large
open roof and plywood shear wall project when using "craft carpenters"
and "subcontract framers". Those experienced and very knowledgable
persons used fasteners that stated "common" on the box but at the time
the import from overseas was definitely other material. And, true to
form, the subcontract framer would point to the box and claim
ignorance. We pointed to the plans and suggested other arrangements.
>From then on, we returned to using our own people with proper
supervison, training and LA City enforcement.
   There was also a period where imported bolts stamped with the three
lines on the head to indicate an ASTM A325 HS Bolts were made out of
pot metal and A307 and other junk. Those three innocent marks commaded
so muich more money.
  Always, buyer beware, always.
Pax e Gratia
Bob Ross