FW: ASCE 7-95 & 7-98 Questions

From: James Wiita [mailto:jwiita(--nospam--at)eeis.net]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 8:50 AM
To: 'grayjd(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us'
Subject: ASCE 7-95 & 7-98 Questions

Hi James,
I've got a question.  I'm working on a project that calls out that the
glazing/curtainwall design must be designed with ASCE 7.  I can't seem to
find a reference to the '97 UBC or the 2000 IBC since I often don't get the
whole enchilada when I'm a sub to a sub.  Anyway, I have some wind software
that is the most current revision but it only uses ASCE 7-95.  I was
looking thru ASCE 7-98 and found that there are differences in the exposure
category in relation to wall components and cladding.  It seems, from
reading the 7-98 commentary that 7-95 said that one should probably use
exp. C even if a a building is in A or B.  Then it goes on to say that if
you use this exp C when the building is in a lower category then you should
reduce the loads by 15%.  The 7-98 commentary then goes on and says that
the 7-98 code addresses this issue and modifies exposure factors so you use
the exp category that the building is in.
OK, here's are the questions:
1)  Does it make a significant difference if I use 7-95 AND...
2) If I do use 7-95, I'm planning on using exp C.  Should I use the 15%
reduction?
3)  If using 7-95 is not quite kosher than maybe using 7-95 at exp C
without the 15% reduction would be conservative enough to offset the use of
7-98.
One of the main reasons I'm asking these questions is that I would really
like to use the 7-95 software.  I like to do individual wind load calcs at
all wall conditions that I'm designing.  If I have to do this by hand the
contractor will have a heart-attack when I give him my bill.
I hope you can help me out.
Thanks,
James

James Wiita, P.E.