Re: RESIDENTIAL: Wood Framing Tolerances for Plumbness

Bill,

I'd hate to see this used for tolerances for construction, but when evaluating buildings that have been standing around a while, I use the UCBC which states something to the effect that the vertical projection of the cg must fall within the middle kern.... or as I explain to my clients, rectangular members such as studs and columns should not exceed 1/3 or their dimension in the direction under consideration.

Steve Privett
Pasadena. CA

Bill Polhemus wrote:

Once again, I have searched in vain for criteria in the building codes for
acceptable plumbness and find nothing.

Obviously too many residential contractors are working without a net, if
there are not adequate project specifications covering this topic!

Anyone have any references?