Re: 1997 NDS Equation Error?

Gerard,

I have a mathcad worksheet for the mudsill-concrete single shear bolt
computation per NDS Section 8.2.3.

For each bolt size, 1/2" to 1", mode IIIs controls and agrees with Table
8.2E.

k1 does not enter the computation for mode IIIs.

If you have mathcad, let me know.  I'll email you my active worksheet [at
least I'll give it a try] -- you can check my formula
entries, and you can enter various bolt sizes and see the results.

If you don't have mathcad, let me know, and I'll send you a pdf file so you
can at least check my entries.

I've stopped expressing my complaints about the NDS connector formulas, but
I guess now is a good time to let it out one more time: the formulas are not
intuitive, and you have to take them without comprehending them.  There is
no way, that I can see, to understand the significance of a k-number in a
yield-mode formula.  It's there because the book says it's there.  Grrrrr!
I'd like to have a feel for what a number that I'm using means.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net