From: Bruce Pooley [mailto:bdpooley(--nospam--at)home.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 10:08 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: RESIDENTIAL: Wood Framing Tolerances for Plumbness

Bill

I am not aware of any specific requirements. I checked the NDS Appendix A,
Construction and Design Practices. Nothing shown there.

When I worked for PKS (Kiewit) in the early 1970's, I was on the engineering
crew (survey stuff also) and we plumbed at steel tower to within a 1/16 inch
at a height of 120 feet. I would expect that wood framed structures could be
held to this tight of a tolerance, but in general, I think something like
a 1/2 inch tolerance would be acceptable. The use of the structure and

For residential construction, I would check with the structural warranty
companies to see what their policy covers. My RWC policy says "walls which
are out of plumb in excess of 3/4 inch within a vertical measurement of
eight feet is a defect". I remember that when I worked for HBW that they
used the same requirement.

HTH

Bruce Pooley
Timber Design