Re: Elevator pit impact load

Thanks, for your response on this topic. I already contact with the elevator
maker about the impact loading data. The Taiwan National Standard suggest to
use 125% design speed of the elevator in considering the buffer loading.
This is far from free falling at higher level. Is this too risk for the pit
support design?
There is a interisting topic in material mechanics text book. If there is a
simple support beam and you put a mass M suddlenly at the middle span of
that beam, this will cause twice deflection of that beam comparing with
static force Mg. Twice deflection measn two times loading applied at that
beam. If this is true, the ASCE 7-95 suggest to use 100% impact load for the
elevator is limited to the operational situation.
 Jeng-Wei Li