holdown post net section combined tension and bending from holdow n eccentricity

Hello:

We just had the Zone 4 holdown salesman visit town.  He showed us that
holdown posts exceed allowable stress unity equation limits for combined
bending from holdown eccentricity and tension inthe net section.  About a
year ago, I read an article in "Structure" about checking  combined tension
and bending through the net section of holdown studs-posts.  I put together
a check spreadsheet and indeed they don't calculate out.

How many building departments are requiring net section combined bending
with tension to be checked?  How many engineers are checking it?  What is
the solution for a Simpson HD14A, a 4x12 post bolted through the deep
direction?

Sorry I didn't follow the string about Zone 4 tie-downs a while back.

Thanks!

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division