Re: holdown post net section combined tension and bending from holdown eccentricity

Scott,

There was an article in Structural Engineer awhile back that discussed some
testing performed on shear walls.  One of the conclusions that they came to
was that eccentricity on the holdown post was not a serious problem.  The
failure usually occurred in the plywood nailing.  However, I don't think
that
they tested anything bigger than a 4x6?  I would think that on a 4x12
eccentricity could be a problem.  Would a PHD8 on both sides of the post
work?

Dan Goodrich, P.E.