From: chuckuc [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 9:45 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: holdown post net section combined tension and bending from
holdow neccentricity

    The solution is the use of a concentric system. Simpson bought out MBR
and
now sells the ATS system ( a double post, full height threaded rod, and
takeup
coupling).
    The simpson catalog's footnote 4. says check the post, but almost nobody
does it. I suspect anyone careful enough to check the post wouldn't be using
HD14's in the first place.
    It's up to the CBO's to enforce the design/installation of adequate
posts
for high loads.  ICBO has been very lax in cleaning up the ES testing/rating
procedure (the place where this mess orginates.)
Chuck Utzman, P.E.