From: "Jorge Naya" <jnaya(--nospam--at)earthlink.net>
To: <syedfaiz23(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
Subject: SF Uplift
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 12:50:27 -0500

Syed,

In South Florida we have been designing for serious wind
for a while.

Normal usage is SF = DL / Uplift >= 1.50, all using service loads
and ASCE 7 wind (not the ASCE loa combinations),  and accounting
for weight of soil, slab, almost anything that could help.

In many cases the footing becomes an anchor!

Regards,
Jorge Naya, P.E.

P.S. After hurricane Andrew, no footings were seen uplifted,
always something else above failed first.