WOOD SHEARWALLS

Here is my attempt to decipher the shearwall stud and sill plate sizes per
Table 23-ii-i-1 footnote 3 (Revised) in the 1997 UBC (Page 2-288).:

Okay ... Deep breath...

CASE 1: Allowable Shear of Wall is 350 plf and below

2x vertical studs are okay
2x sill plates are okay
2x mudsills are okay without plate washers

CASE 2: Allowable Shear of Wall is at least 350.1 plf AND Actual Shear in
Wall is 600 plf or less

2x vertical studs are okay if they receive field nailing
3x vertical studs are required when two sheathing edges are edge nailed into
the same stud
2x Sill plates are okay if only 1 sheathing edge is edge nailed into the
sill plate
3x Sill plates are required if two sheathing edges are edge nailed into the
same sill plate
3x Mudsills are required if I do not use plate washers or I use greater than
50% of the anchor bolt capacity.
OPTION: I can use 2x Mudsills if I provide plate washers and limit the
demand to the anchor bolts to 50% of capacity

CASE 3: Allowable Shear of Wall is at least 350.1 plf AND Actual Shear in
Wall is at least 600.1 plf

Same as CASE 2 except 3x mudsills are always required.

If I am incorrect on these interpretation, could you please point out my
misunderstandings.

Now my Questions...

1) Are the plate washers required on the mudsill for case 3? Are engineers
always specifying the plate washers for good practice?

2) I am assuming "Foundation Sill" means floor plates and mudsill plates. Is
that correct? Otherwise, how could a mudsill have "abutting panel" nailing
into it.

Thanks in Advance,
-Gerard
SJ, CA