Re: Slip Critical Connections

The AISC bearing calculations are a check on a connected material limit
state, elongation of the bolt hole.  They are based on late 1970's
research.  The AISC "block shear" calculations are a check on a different
connected material limit state, fracture of the material.  They are based
on 1970's research.  AISC specification(s) consideration of both limit
states coincides with the time period when the profession was switching
from common bolts to high strength bolts, concentrating the same design
forces into a more compact area of the connected material.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

****************************

                    "Peder Golberg"
                    <peder@jgpierso      To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    n.com>
                    11/09/01 01:49       cc:
                    PM
                    Please respond       Subject:     Re: Slip Critical Connections.
                    to seaint
                                                                                                                 .

Since oversized holes are allowed in slip critical connections, why does
bearing need to be checked when the hole is oversized?  How or what exactly
is being checked?   The requirements to "always check bearing"  were added
in the 8th edition of the AISC ASD manual and the earlier codes stated
"bearing does not need to be checked".   Is checking bearing meant to check
block shear type requirements.  What failures prompted the change?

Peder Golberg
Portland, OR