From: chuckuc [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 12:18 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: holdown post net section combined tension and bending from
holdown eccentricity

The original paper by Hamburger & Nelson used the distance from the post
centerline to the rod. I saw a subsequent paper from Nelson that used a
slightly
reduced distance based on locating the point of maximum moment based on
dowel
bearing in the post but I think the consensus is to use the post half width
plus
the tie down eccentricity as you suggested.
There were several problems with using one story shearwall tests to attempt
justify ignoring the post bending problem that occurs in 3 and 4 story tall
walls--mainly that the wall sheathing failures long before significant post
bending loads can be developed.
Chuck Utzman,P.E.