RE: Need help with cable-stayed bridges

To address the actual question:

Jose, there are two main points to remember when modeling a cable stayed
bridge:
1)
Inclined cables exhibit non-linear force-displacement behavior.  Luckily,
you can use an "effective" modulus to account for this.  One equation
useful for initial design work is
Ei=Ee/(1+(gl)^2Ee/(12sigma^3))
Where
Ei=effective modulus
Ee=modulus of elasticity of cable matr'l
g=density of the cable
l=horizontal span of cable
sigma=stress in cable
2)
You must prestress the cables to their dead load state, otherwise the
bridge will be in the water by the time the cables start taking load.  In
SAP you can do this by specifying temperature changes.

Buena Suerte!

Thomas P. Murphy, Ph.D., P.E.
Harrisburg, PA