Tacoma Narrows Suspension Bridge Collapse

Hello all,

It was almost sixty one years back that Tacoma Narrows bridge collapsed.

I came across a few articles and links relating to the incident. It was
quite instructive
to learn that it was self excited vibrations with negative damping ,
rather than
resonance with vortex shedding frequency (as popularly believed) , that
was
the basic cause of the failure.

In this regard I have two questions to the list.

1. Has the last word been told about the structural failure ?  In other
words,
    is there a  technical report on which there is full agreement among
all the
    experts.

2. Can we reconstruct a suspension bridge that will behave exactly the
way
    the fateful bridge behaved ?

Thanks and cheers  ..  raghavan (MGIT , Hyderabad , India)