RE: OFF TOPIC: United Way

Stan,

First a conflict of interest disclosure: My wife is a senior manager of the
second largest
recipient of UW dollars in the Houston area. OTOH, this means I am very
familiar with how
UW works.

Let's review the facts:

1) The Sep 11th Fund was established by the New York United Way (in
conjunction with
   others).
2) The Sep 11th Fund provided money to the Legal Aid Society. This money was
to be used
   to help the victims of the Sep 11th Attack.
3) The Legal Aid Society is not controlled by the United Way of New York.
The is no
   connection at all between the Sep 11 Fund (or the Legal Aid Society) and
the UW of
   North Texas.
4) The Legal Aid Society spent some of the money on questionable purposes
(Questionable,
   as in the spending may be justified. If the men in question are innocent,
it seems to
   me they are victims of the attack as much as anyone else. And I assume
Stan, you
   support to US Constitution: innocent till proven guilty).
5) The United Way of New York has not commented on way or the other about
this use of funds
   and in fact may be outraged about this (on the other hand, maybe they are
not, I'm not
   until I hear more details).
6) As a result of this, you are no longer going to give to the United Way of
North Texas,
   which has NO connection to the United Way of New York, except for the
name is similar.

While the UW has made mistakes, and I am sure they will make more, they are
a great agency and they do good things for people. When your firm makes a
mistake, do you tell the client, please never use us again, as even one
mistake is unacceptable and unforgivable? I know you do not, and you
shouldn't, as your firm does great work, and everyone makes mistakes. Am I
missing something? Please explain.

BTW, I am sure the UW is pleased about your past donations and I hope they
continue after you reflect on the reality of this incident and its
connection (or more accurately lack of connection) to your local agency..

Eric Green