RE: 1997 NDS Equation Error?

The NDS table and equation are correct !

Nels Roselund has correctly informed me that the issue I am having is the
thickness of the main member, tm, in the calculation. I was using twice the
thickness of the side member (must have stuck in my head from the 97 UBC)
and the correct thickness to use is 6" regardless of the size of the side
member thickness. Table 8.2E, in the first column says tm=6" and footnote 4
says 6" minimum bolt embedment.

With tm=6", mode II cannot govern and this makes sense.

Thanks to all and especially Nels.

-gerard