Re: Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse

We studied this at the Univ. of Illinois more than 40 yrs. ago. and had a
model which we demonstated how it moved when we turned on a large fan and
how it stopped when a smooth surface was placed on the under side. Yes, I
guess it would be possible to construct a bridge that would fail, if no
concern was given to oscillating caused by a  rough under side and if it
was built in a high wind area. There are several reports available. One
place to look would be the Univ. of Illinois library.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA