RE: Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse

Tom Murhpy wrote:

. >         There were several bridges constructed prior to and concurrent
. > with the Tacoma bridge which also exhibited "lively" performance in the
. > wind.  The Thousand Islands, the Deer Isle, and the Bronx-Whitestone come
. > to mind.  I'm not sure whether they would have shown the same dramatic
. > instability as the Tacoma, but in the post-disaster climate it was
. > certainly not desireable to have your suspension bridge bounce in the
. > breeze!

I remember the stiffening work on the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge in the 1940's.
My father was a Civil Engineer with the NYC Board of Estimate and remarked
while we were crossing the bridge that the repairs were to stiffen the
bridge.  I was a small child then, and really did not understand the need for
the work, but that has all changed in the intervening years.

I don't believe that the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge actually exhibited
significant movement, but that it was designed to the same slenderness that
was used in the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and stiffening was the prudent thing to
do.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona