Re: Cantera Stone Attachment to Steel Frame Arch

Denise,

I'd be concerned about using expansion anchors in natural stone.  Natural
stone is a non-isotropic material.  It usually formed in nature as an
assembly of grains that are often not cemented at their boundaries to
adjacent grains, so that a block has numerous micro-cracks.  An expansion
anchor is likely to change the internal state of stress in the stone in
damaging ways.

I prefer adhesive anchorage in stone because the adhesive not only provides
a relatively low-stress anchorage, but at the same time bonds the adjacent
material to the anchor, possibly improving the stone in the vicinity of the
anchor rather than damaging it.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA