RE:

No, it's the maximum possible moment that can be exerted to the frame by the
components of the lateral load path that deliver the force to the frame. For
example if the moment due to the strength of the diaphragm delivering the
load to the frame, is smaller than the Mu, then that would be the governing
design force. This language is scattered throughout the code on several
issues such as the beams supporting discontinuous shear walls and the brace
connections. It's annoying language, which I personally wish would be
stricken out of the code. It causes confusion and ends up wasting a lot of
our time in the plan review arguing with designers about what the true
strength of elements delivering the forces is.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA