From: Davis Parsons [mailto:dparsons(--nospam--at)msc-engineers.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 5:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: STEEL ROOF DECK: Question About Using Lightweight Concrete Fill
Several architect clients I had in the past used the term "lightweight
concrete"
for the product "insulating concrete" (Zonolite, Perlite, Elasticell, etc).
What
they wanted on the roof was EXTRA-lightweight concrete.  Years ago, a Post
Office under construction in a town northeast of Houston collapsed when the
contractor placed what was called lightweight concrete on the plans for the
roof. The design intent was for insulating concrete fill to be used on the
roof.

If they are trying to achieve a UL Class 90 uplift rating on the roof, then
one
of the cementitious fill would be appropriate if the use of mechanical
fasteners
to hold the roof insulation is ruled out.

If the architect truly wants lightweight concrete, then I think you need to
use
a "C" or "VL" deck. I think this would be overkill for the roof structure.