Re: Digital camera, legal or not for documentation

Fellow Engineers,

	I don't think that the degree of difficulty in "doctoring" digital
photographs vs. conventional photographic film is an issue.  After all,
it can be just as difficult to "prove" that a photograph of a moment
connection is actually column B-5 Level 9 and not C-6  Level 8.

	In my opinion it is quite unlikely that a disagreement on the facts
will get as far as Examinations for Discovery (or preliminary hearing,
or whatever the appropriate U. S. term might be) let alone as far as a
court of law.  If an engineer is challenged the challenge won't be
related to the validity of his/her photographs or other facts; it will
be on the validity of his/her interpretation of the facts or
extrapolation of the facts and the resulting professional opinion
rendered.

	I think that the choice between digital and conventional photographs
should be made on a basis of the usefulness at the time and the
reliability of the storage medium for long term storage.  Christopher
Wright is right when he says that doctoring the photos could amount to a
major career decision.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson

                             |"They couldn't hit an elephant from