Re: IBC 2305.3.10 2x2x3/16 plate washers

Paul Feather asked:

How did the tests compare to the current rated wall capacities?  Will this
improvement
provide higher allowable shear wall design values or are the current
provisions with the 2" plate washers unconservative?

Paul - Answers depend on a number of factors, so I can't provide you a
generalized answer. In some cases, current code design values may be result
in undesirable modes of response. You can get CUREE's published details on
this issue at www.curee.org and root around to their wood frame project
recommendations and topical discussions item G2. Not all of their reports
are available yet online. Fred

Fred Turner, Staff Structural Engineer, California Seismic Safety
Commission, a public policy advisory agency, fturner(--nospam--at)quiknet.com, 1755
Creekside Oaks Dr. #100 Sacramento, CA 95833 916-263-0582 Phone 916-263-0594
Fax