Re: Delivered by the System

Tom,

From an East Coast Connection Design Engineer's experience the trouble is sometimes a conceptual problem for the EOR.
For example I have seen real jobs with these kinds of problems;

1. Bracing systems can't carry more horizontal force down the building than the foundation can accept. 500 k (ASD ) horizontal brace forces can't exist if the foundation only has 4 - 1 in A307 anchor bolts and the column base is not concrete encased..

2. Similarly a W12 x 26 beam ( Ag = 7.65 sq. in. ) can't transfer a 500 k ( ASD ) horizontal component from the brace above column connection to the brace below chevron connection. ( 500/7.65 = 65.36 ksi)

3. Less obvious is the case where the story shear comes into the bracing from a concrete floor slab but there aren't enough studs to deliver the load and no drag strut loads are provided.

Sometimes these are caused by confusion between ASD and Seismic (LRFD) loads, but a lot of times it seems like nobody ever sat down and asked themselves, " How does this structure work and do I have a complete and realistic load path to ground for all loads? "

In any case when I see this kind of stuff someone is wasting my fabricator's money which I take great exception to.

regards

Bruce Caro