Adding an Elevator to an Existing Historic Building

I have been charged with the structural design of adding an elevator and its corresponding shaftway to the interior of an existing historic building located in Seismic Zone 3.  The building is four-stories, and constructed of masonry exterior walls, with a wood floor framing system.  I'm not certain at this time if the masonry is reinforced or not.  I have a general idea of how to attack this design challenge, but would be grateful to hear from anybody who has experience with this type of work.  Specific input with respect to specific code requirements, analysis techniques, and construction material and methods would be especially helpful.  Any input from this list would be helpful.  Also are there any publications or proceeding(s) papers on the evaluation and upgrade of existing structures (historic or not) that anybody has knowledge of?  Thank in advance.