Re: Adding an Elevator to an Existing Historic Building

For evaluation of existing structures for seismic issues, you might want
to take a look at FEAM 310.  FEMA 310 was the "pre-standard".  They were
working on creating a standard out of it...I am not sure if it is complete
yet or not.  I vaguely remember that there is a new FEMA document out that
covers this topic...but then my memory is already starting to go...

For upgrading of existing structures for seismic issues, there is a two
book "set" of FEMA publications (I believe it is FEMA 273 and 274, but
could be off on that).  I don't have my FEMA documents here at work (other
than the 2000 NEHRP - FEMA 368 and 369).

FEMA has several documents for dealing with existing buildings, including
one that is a case study of upgrades doing the 273/274 documents.

None of these directly deal with the issue of the elevator, but mainly
deal with an existing building that needs to be evaluated and possibly
upgrade for seismic loading.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI